Is Islam hiding women’s beauty?

This is my latest post, which I wrote for hijabieshood (inspire and empower muslim women around the world) where I’ve recently joined on as a writer.

Don’t forget to visit this blog, hijabieshood for more interesting articles.

Is Islam hiding women’s beauty?

Islam has always suffered from many false charges against it due to the misunderstanding of its true teachings.

One example of this is the wide spread false impression that Islam, in general, prevents women of their rights and forces them to go behind the veil and hide their beauty. Some European countries have even attempted to outlaw certain aspects of Islamic dress customs, such as covering the face in public. They think that it is a burden and a restriction, which has been imposed on Muslim women to deprive them of their freedom. This controversy stems largely from a misconception regarding the reasons behind Islamic dress rules. But in reality, the way in which Muslims dress is really driven out of simple modesty and a desire to not draw individual attention in any way. Moreover, if one looks with a deeper glance on this subject, it will be found that veiling or covering of women is not something that Islam has invented. Islam came only to complete and perfect them.

From the Islamic point of view, clothing has two purposes. To cover the body and to beautify the appearance. Islam has made it obligatory on Muslims to cover their body and cleanliness is the essence of good appearance and the beauty of every adornment. Beautification and elegance are not only permitted but are required by Islam, and in general, it refuse any attempts to prohibit them.

img_9684

It is very well known that the Muslim woman is a creature of modesty. Islam’s code of modesty extends to all aspects of one’s life, including attire. Hijab, worn by Muslim women is an outer manifestation of an inner commitment to worship God.

People are often assuming that the only reason for modest dress is to avoid temptation. While this may be one of the reason, modest dress is not merely about how other people view women, but more about how women view themselves. Often labeled as oppressive, many fail to realize that the Hijab truly empowers every female with the ability to control how she is treated and respected in the society, her safety, and who deserves to see her beauty. The way Muslim women maintain their respect for their body is by keeping it covered. Not because it is shameful, but because it is so beautiful and precious.

Furthermore, the hijab does not symbolize a woman’s subservience to men but it symbolizes a woman’s subservience to her creator. Women are by nature the delicate sex. Thus, Islam treats women as a precious treasure that should be guarded and protected from being inconvenienced by other people in any way. Most of the hijabi women describe wearing hijab as being “set free” from society’s unrealistic expectations. They describe that they no longer have to struggle with objectification, but are desired for their intellect. They are no longer valued for their looks or body shape but for their personality and character. Modest clothing and hijab are precautions to avoid any social violations. The Prophet, peace be upon him, said:

“Whoever can guarantee (the chastity of) what is between his two jaw-bones (the tongue) and what is between his two legs (the private parts), I guarantee Paradise for him.” [Recorded by Al-Imamal-Bukhari]

So, far from depriving women from their rights or not allowing them to show their beauty, these injunctions show the high status of the Muslim women.

Neither does Islam prevents women to hide their personality or beauty because a woman’s beauty is not in her features, the shade of her skin, or her possessions. Islam honors women and the true beauty is in her heart, in her faith and in her actions.

This maybe quite a touchy subject, but I would love to see you guys in the comments.

37 thoughts on “Is Islam hiding women’s beauty?

1. infinitelyadaydreamer says:

Something about this post makes me want to be real honest, so that’s what I’ll do here. I’m muslim, but honestly, I feel nothing but disempowered by this religion and my gender. I always feel subservient to guys.. lesser. The only examples of Islam that I’ve seen, and there’s been a fair few, have told a story of sexism and something to endure, rather than something to love and uphold.

I’ve never worn the hijab other than for school, back in years three to six when I had to. It always made me feel so bad.. I guess the real question here is, does the religion work for me? The one TRUE religion, does it work for me? It’s meant to work for everyone, but I don’t know where I fit with it. I guess this can sort of be likened to that viral challenge last year, the yanny and laurel one where this computer automated voice said something, but each person heard something different. Some heard yanny, some laurel, and each person knew what they heard. Turns out, everyone was correct. I guess what I’m saying is this- is it possible for Islam, for hijab wearing, for all aspects of the religion, to have an intented meaning that just doesn’t ring true for every person? I don’t relate to many when it comes to islam or the hijab. It makes me feel like I’m being untrue to myself.

Last year, I was a person who didn’t act with the morals of a muslim or any religious person really. I drank a bit, I slept with someone, I was generally promiscuous. As for clothing, shorts occassionally, but nothing too over the top and definitely not what most teens where. My comfort clothing is fairly modest, but not perfect. Pants, a shirt, sometimes skirts or dresses, generally with nothing under. Nothing too short or tight.

I think in terms of religion, I believe in God but nothing as black and white as religion. I have my foundating and core believe, but my own sort of spirituality. I don’t know. There’s nothing I look at go “this is my truth. this is my path.’

2. Minnu says:

Everyone’s entitled to have their own opinions and I’m glad you expressed yours. 😌 Thanks for commenting!
    However, being a muslim one should try to uphold religious laws. We must follow the words in the Qur’aan, then only we will be benefited in the hereafter.
    This world is just an exam for us. It’s upto us to either choose to pass it or fail it. But we should remember that the person who pass this exam despite all the hardships and everything they are faced, is the person who is rewarded for it in the Akhirah. In sha Allah.
    The role of women is often misunderstood. The conflict is even bigger when it comes to gender roles and subservience. To be honest, gender roles are a cultural construction and the idea of Muslim women as subservient to men is a myth, both in Muslim and non-Muslim settings. Women, in different cultures, religions and circles, may be subservient by choice or by force. However, the mere stereotype that portrays Muslim women as the only subservient women due to their religion denies that Muslim women exercise in both conservative and progressive Muslim circles, and that women in general exercise when they choose to follow or to remain in Islam.
    As for me, the hijab represents my beliefs, modesty and the hijab is my freedom.
    What is creating difference and misunderstandings is the absence of knowledge. Saying, Hijab is creating idelogical differences and thus implying that Hijab should not be allowed or any such likes is being ignorant.
    However, we are well within our rights as a muslim to encourage fellow muslim women to encourage wearing Hijab. You may not like to wear it but being a muslim it is your duty to know about it from Quran.
    To me personally, the hijab makes me feel empowered, by putting forth my faith and being identified as a Muslim woman. Alhamdhlihllaahi.
    But at the end, It’s everyone’s personal journey and may Allah make it easy for you and all the Muslim women facing struggles and battles in their everyday life.
    For all the Muslim women who feel that their spirituality and religious zeal is decreasing at times, my advice is to have a good companion you can talk to. The prophet(pbuh) said that a good friend is like a person who sells perfume. If you befriend the perfume seller, his scent will surely touch you as well. Besides having good and pious friends, it is extremely beneficial for the advancement of our spirituality to seek the company of the pious and learned scholars of Islam. Listening to their words of wisdom and knowledge can change our heart and can be the tool that helps us to come closer to Allah. Mosques are extremely special places, filled with lots of light and special blessing power (barakah).
    Sitting in a mosque can bring tranquility and peace to our heart and mind. Many times being in the mosque will make us feel closer to Allah.
    Woah! This went too long huh? 😀
    But on a serious note, I hope this was helpful. 🙂

3. Sumaya says:

I’ve got a lot to say in response to “Infinitely a Daydreamer”

You said you feel dis-empowered by the religion. So my question to this is, from where are you getting your definition of power? You say you always feel subservient to guys, but Muslims don’t follow the religion of men (than god, hah.) Rather, we follow the religion by a higher power and if Allah swt is who we are getting our definitions from (of equality, of worth, etc.) then it makes it a lot easier to deal with the crap that’s shoved down our throats in this awful world. Because this world isn’t the only world, if you get what I’m saying.

Second, you mention the only examples of Islam you’ve seen as being negative (implying sexism and other things) but to this I ask, what kinds of “examples” are you referring to, because these are not at all exemplary of Islam. I believe you’re referring to Muslims here, Muslims who are flawed and may not be the best examples of the religion they practice. Because there are certainly, certainly more than enough suitable examples of how Islam ought to be. I get mine from the prophet (saw) and those who accompanied him, to name a couple thousand.

If I’m being honest though, everything I’ve typed above is something I constantly have to remind myself as well. This life is hard, and I feel like it’ll only get more difficult to hold on to one’s faith. The fact that you took a chance and commented here, being so honest and pure about how you’re feeling shows me two things.

1. You are a good and strong person who wants to do improve her life.
    2. You have every ability to find what you are seeking.

Islam is widely misinterpreted and miscommunication, by Muslims and non-Muslims alike. If you’re looking for one uniform way of practicing that satisfies everyone and their worldly desires, you are going to be disappointed.

I would say, if you want a bit more clarity, to start simple. Work on the moral aspect that you mentioned and if you’re doing it for Allah’s sake, He’ll know. Work on you, on your person, as we should all do.

All my best 🙂

4. Rafia says:

I must echo Sumaya’s very well thought out comment. I am not exactly sure what you mean when you wrote “the Muslim woman is a creature of modesty” and I have to admit, I am not a fan of the precious treasure analogy, but over all I agree with what you are trying to say. I think for me the way I have come to understand the concept of hijab as that it is required of all Muslims. Men have hijab too. It’s just that they are not required to cover their hair, because their hair is usually not considered a thing of beauty or desire. I think when people are frankly warped by Western ways of thinking, they put Islam into the same box. God is not a man. As you put it, we don’t do anything in Islam because Muslim men tell us to, we do it because Allah (swt) who is above all human creatures, tell us to. This post has generated a good discussion! 🙂

5. Minnu says:

When I wrote that Muslim women is a creature of modesty, what I meant by that is, modesty is a quality that is loved by Allah SWT and Allah SWT loves for our Muslim women to be shielded by the Hijab. It is the outer protection from the decadence of this life.
    And you’re absolutely right with the part, men have hijab too. Also, when addressing hijab, the Quran does not address women first. It addresses men first. The Quran 24:31 obliges men to observe modesty: “Say to the believing men that they restrain their eyes and guard their private parts. That is purer for them. Surely, Allah is well aware of what they do.”
    People often conflate “hijab” and “headscarf”. Wearing the headscarf is one form of hijab, but the hijab is actually much more than that.
    In Islam, men have an obligation to God and women to observe hijab. But since I focused only on women in this post, I didn’t mention anything regarding Islam and men. As what the title says, ‘Is Islam hiding women’s beauty?’
    Thank you so much for commenting and for your honest opinion Rafia. 😌

6. Sumaya says:

I’m now realizing how many typos were in my comment. Typed it on my phone y’all so please excuse the humiliation of this English major.

7. ifrah says:

SubhanaAllah this is beautifully written! Now i can eloquently answer why us muslimas wear hijab! Minnu your writings are as beautiful as your name and word! Keep up sis ♥ much love to you

8. ifrah says:

I can relate to you! Honestly as a girl raised in a Muslim community i can say with conviction that yes, muslims especially men enforce and force harsh rules upon the Muslim ladies… As much as i believed in Allah i viewed islam as a hard religion. But Alhamdulillah after getting to know Allah on a personal level i realized that the islam i was exposed to and the islam that really is is two different religions. Yes Muslim men make islam hard and are mostly sexist. The only way to deal with that is to journey your way to islam, get to know Allah and the religion on your own! Don’t listen to and believe the “haram police”

9. midge says:

I loved reading both your post which was beautifully and honestly written with real conviction in your religious beliefs and then the following comments which saw things from similar or different perspectives and again were given with such courageous honesty.
    What I most loved most though was the respect given to those differing thoughts and beliefs which felt very empowering and has given me a lot to think about in being both being a woman and being a woman living within their religious beliefs. It made me very proud to be a fellow woman living amongst the diversity of women in this world. Thankyou for sharing and much love ❤️

10. The Kaleidoscope Effect Blog says:

Great article!! There’s definitely a misconception around Hijab in many parts of the world. It’s seen as a sign of oppression, when actually it’s a symbol of power and empowerment – we’re not a sex symbol or a source of lusty entertainment. We’re to be honoured and respected! Lovely post 😊

11. Minnu says:

Such a sweet comment this is. Thank you for the kind words. 💕
    I believe people are entitled to have their own opinions and I respect it. Also, I believe in giving my honest opinion and respond to any comments that’s receiving to any of my writings. 😌

12. Hidden Gems says:

Loved your blog. and really appreciate the honest conversation among readers here. This is how we lift each other up. But I have written a blog that raises the problem all Muslim women, hijabis or non-hijabis face today, judgment from our own. I don’t know about you but I find it so negative and toxic that it shakes me to the core of my being.

13. Minnu says:

Thank you so much. 😌
    Yes. Exactly. First of all, faith is quite a touchy subject. But being honest is the only way it helps me to make a conversation happen.
    oh. It never happened to me. But I know how badly it might effect on a person when a toxic comment is passed on to you by your own. And that’s sad actually. Fortunately I haven’t had any negatives judgments from my own regarding my hijab. But I’ve also been raised questions from people who i know, when I first started wearing it. I’ve just posted my hijab story on my blog. Feel free to read it. I’ve talked about it there. 😌